Home.
The Headlines!.
History.
Burton Village.
Burton Waters.
Odder & Burton fen.
Parish News.
Parish Council Minutes.
Parish  Information.
Burton Club.
St Vincent's Church.
The cocked hat mystery.
Burton Journal.
Burton Photo Gallery.
Burton Nature Diary.
Contact us.

In 1841  Frederick Monson died aged only 32.  His marriage to Theodosia Monson  in 1832 was a disaster and the couple separated 2 years later. As the marriage was childless,  the title  and the estates  at Gatton and  Burton passed to his second cousin, William Monson who was born in Madras in 1796.  Although  the family ties were distant, linking back to the 2nd Baron,   William Monson appears to have been well prepared for  his accession to the title as the 6th Lord Monson of Burton.  He found the estate in  poor condition and heavily in debt.  Gatton Hall was unfinished,  Burton hall was in decay and the tenant farms from which his income was derived, starved of investment.  He had no personal fortune so his immediate plan was to reduce his financial commitments by letting Gatton Hall  (to Lady Warwick) and to refurbish Burton Hall as his  family residence..... in the meantime he move to Florence .... to save money! He installed David Middleton as his house steward to oversee the repairs and improvements to the hall  and to organise the estate workforce.  Middleton was the perfect choice, scrupulously honest, fair but firm with traders and villagers alike.   The tenanted farms Burton, South Carlton and Croft near Wainfleet  were administered by his Land Agent, Willliam Brown  who farmed at South Carlton.  

 

In 1843  Monson appointed his brother-in-law the Reverend Edmund Larken to the Burton living, worth £420 which with his income from a family inheritance, gave him an annual income the equivalent of about £100,000 today. Revd Larken and his large family took up residence in the rectory, situated within the hall grounds.  They had 8 children and could afford to keep 3 servants, a cook, a housemaid and nurserymaid.  The Larken and Monson families were connected through their respective fathers’ service in India at the turn of the century - Larken (Sen)  as a Tea Trader with the East India Company and,  Monson  serving with the Indian Army as Colonel  of the 76th Regiment of Foot.  The families were united  in marriage in 1828 when Eliza Larken (Larken’s younger sister) married William Monson.  

 

The Revd Larken was an evangelical Christian, a radical  intellectual, ambitious, energetic with a wide circle of contacts within the church and the Lincolnshire gentry.  However his political beliefs would put him at odds with the Establishment  and although he sought preferment to more lucrative and influential church appointments, he was to remain in Burton as Rector  for 53 years until his death in 1895.  The Burton living with only 200 inhabitants was hardly intellectually demanding so his energies were channelled into many different causes.  He was founder of the “Penitent Females’ Home”  in Lincoln which was designed “to reclaim the poor creatures who walk our streets”; he set up a cooperative mill in Lincoln, and on Sundays he would often preach 5 sermons - in Burton, at the Penitent Females Home, to the prisoners in Lincoln prison and to the Lincolnshire Militia.  He was President of the Mechanics Institute in Lincoln founded to provide education for working people, secretary to the Liberal party in the North Lincolnshire constituency, and political adviser to William Monson(jun) who was elected MP for Redhill.   He was described as a “communist” by Harvey Gem, Lord Monson’s lawyer, for articles he wrote in “The Leader” (a radical political newspaper) and  Gemm recommended his dismissal as Rector for his views. Edmund Larken also had connections with the feminist movement  funding the publication of works by George Sand, (Baroness Dudevant) a bisexual French Avant Garde, writer, described as loud, lewd, shocking, and scandalous,  and with Matilda Hays, the translator of Sand’s works, who later had an affair with Theodosia Monson.  To complete the complex circle, Edmund Larken was chaplain to Lady Theodosia - a difficult assignment as she was described as a dilettante and an atheist.  It is unlikely that either lady visited  the Revd Larken in Burton but it would have raised a few eyebrows.  Both dressed as men from the waist upwards and  smoked in public!

 

 

The  remaining section of the Burton History will be uploaded shortly
Burton -by -lincoln

Parish history part ii

A devoted family man with many interests, he must  have seemed remote from his parishioners, except for one activity - his passion for the game of cricket!  In 1848, the inaugural meeting of the Burton Cricket Club was held.  Lord Monson was elected President, Revd Larken secretary, his brother  Arthur, treasurer, and committee members included the Hon William   Monson and other local dignitaries.  The annual subscription was set at £1.1s, a practice day was held on a Thursday  with lunch costing 2/6d. Larken was masterful organiser  and  through his network of contacts, obtained sponsors and subscriptions   from  the local gentry and businessmen.  A square was  prepared in a field next to the hall at a cost of  £16.18s.11d, 2 cricket balls were purchased  at a cost of 14/- and wicket keeping gloves for 12/-.  The Club went from strength to strength and in 1854, the Burton ground hosted a game between a Lincolnshire 22 and an All England XI. The Cricket Club  played on the ground for 120 years until 1970 when sadly it disbanded through lack of players. The original scorebooks for 1849 - 1860 are held in the Lincolnshire Archives and they give a fascinating  view of  the social lif in Burton in the mid C19.  Click here for more details about the club.

Burton hall looking east  from the cricket square.  On the left was a wooden pavilion on wheels.