The Parish Church stands on rising ground with views across the village to the West.
It is dedicated to St Vincent, a Spanish saint who was martyred in AD304. The Domesday
book records that a church existed in Burton in 1068
The first stone church in Burton is likely to have been Norman, but now the only
Norman part visible is the main West doorway. The west tower, incorporating the arch,
was built in 1678. The nave and chancel were rebuilt in 1795 and the design incorporated
a gallery, complete with a fireplace, to keep the then Lord Monson warm!
A list of rectors of Burton covering nearly 800 years, begins in 1186 with Richard
de Basingham and ends when Canon Caulton retired at the age of 89 in 1971. The rectory,
now a private house, was built in the late C17 with C18 alterations and additions
. Regular services are held in the church which is part of the Springline group of
parishes Details of the Church Services may be found in the monthly newsletter.
illustrations by kind permission of Ruth Race. Historical extracts from “Burton by
Lincoln The story of a Lincolnshire Village” by Philip Race. Copies available by
clicking the “contact us” button - cost £7.50 plus £1 postage. All proceeds to church
Church Newsletter and services in the Springline group April & May 2012
St Vincent’s Church April 25th - St Mark’s Eve A Burton Ghost story
The church burial records contains the names of parishioners commemorated by headstones
and memorials in St Vincent’s church from 1639 - 1985. For a transcript and a photograph
of a headstone contact email@example.com
There is a small fee as a donation towards the church fabric fund